The Duke Funding Alert newsletter, published every Monday, provides information on all new and updated grants and fellowships added to the database during the prior week. This listserv is restricted to members of the Duke community.
‘A’ Award (Support for Young Researchers in Pediatric Oncology)
The ‘A’ Award is a four-year grant designed for the early independent career scientist who wants to establish a career in pediatric oncology research. The ideal applicant has an original project that is not currently being funded. Demonstration of a future commitment to pediatric cancer investigation as well as institutional support for the career development of the investigator are critical components of a successful application.
Deadline: May 20, 2019
- Proposals must be aligned with ALSF’s mission and ‘A’ Award program goals.
- Applicants must have an M.D., Ph.D. or dual M.D., Ph.D. (D.O., MBBS or equivalent) and be within 5 years of their first faculty appointment as an Assistant Professor. Associate and Full Professors are ineligible. If still at the Instructor level, the applicant must have a commitment from the Department Chair/Division Chief at the time of grant submission for an Assistant Professor position within one year of receiving the award.
- A minimum of 75% of the applicant’s time during the ‘A’ Award period must be allocated as protected time for all research activities. This percentage of time includes both ‘A’ activities and the applicant’s other research responsibilities.
- Applicants MAY have research grants from other funding sources during the ‘A’ Award period, but there must be clear documentation of mechanisms to avoid scientific and budgetary overlap.
- Investigators cannot have a K99, K08, or an R01 that has been funded, or recommended for funding (i.e. will be funded), at the time they apply.
Initial Awards are for $800,000 over 4 years (no more than $200,000 in any given year). A fifth year of unrestricted funding is possible if the investigator receives an NIH R01. To be eligible to apply for a 5th year of funding, the R01 must be secured by the due date of the Final Report in year 4.