The Duke Funding Alert newsletter, published every Monday, provides information on all new and updated grants and fellowships added to the database during the prior week. This listserv is restricted to members of the Duke community.
Administration for Community Living -- Alternatives to Guardianship Youth Resource Center
The Administration on Disabilities (AoD) seeks to fund one (1) five-year grant to create an Alternatives to Guardianship Youth Resource Center. Research shows the majority (57 percent) of people with ID/DD ages 18 to 22 receiving publicly funded services have guardians.  The Center will work to divert high school students with ID/DD away from guardianship to less restrictive decisional supports. The target audience for this information includes youth with ID/DD, parents and caregivers of high school students with I/DD, special education teachers, education administrators, advocates, vocational rehabilitation counselors, guidance counselors, and school district officials. As a result of funding this Center, AoD expects that:
- More students with I/DD will have more decisional options, such as Powers of Attorney, supported-decision-making (SDM), joint bank accounts, bill paying services, and medical or educational release forms, on completion of high school;
- Fewer young adults with I/DD will be subject to guardianship;
- The public will become more knowledgeable of alternatives to guardianship; and
- Youth will become more independent by gaining job experience and personal responsibilities.
- Letter of Intent Due Date: May 20, 2020
- Application Due Date: June 29, 2020
Domestic public or private non-profit entities including state and local governments, Indian tribal governments and organizations (American Indian/Alaskan Native/Native American), faith-based organizations, community-based organizations, hospitals, and institutions of higher education.
Award Ceiling: $300,000 Per Budget Period
Award Floor: $250,000 Per Budget Period
Length of Project Period: 60-month project period with five 12- month budget periods