The Duke Funding Alert newsletter, published every Monday, provides information on all new and updated grants and fellowships added to the database during the prior week. This listserv is restricted to members of the Duke community.
The American Diabetes Association Health Disparities and Diabetes Research Awards
The American Diabetes Association is requesting applications for research focused on the impact of diabetes on health disparities and, the impact of health disparities on diabetes and its complications.
According to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, health disparities are defined as: differences in health that are closely linked with social or economic disadvantage. Health disparities adversely affect groups of people who have systematically experienced greater social and/or economic obstacles to health based on their racial or ethnic group; religion; socioeconomic status; gender; age; mental health; cognitive, sensory, or physical disability; sexual orientation; geographic location; or other characteristics historically linked to discrimination or exclusion.
For this funding opportunity, attention must focus on, and hypotheses should reflect, the impact of race/ethnicity, socioeconomic status, health care access, and/or other direct factors that underlie diabetes health disparities, and describe how results will transform assessment and treatment of underserved groups and address significantly improved outcomes in diabetes or its complications. We encourage formative research, intervention development, and pilot-testing of interventions. For the purposes of this RFA, intervention may include behavioral, social, or structural approaches, as well as combination biomedical and behavioral approaches that prevent and/or improve clinical outcomes for persons living with diabetes.
he breakdown of targeted grant types is: Innovative Clinical or Translational Science, Junior Faculty Development and Postdoctoral Fellowship Awards. The application process and submission deadline varies based on award type.
- Postdoctoral Fellowship: May 3, 2021
- Innovative Clinical or Translational Science Letter of Intent Deadline: June 7, 2021
- Junior Faculty Letter of Intent Deadline: June 7, 2021
Areas of Interest
1. Clinical investigations aimed at defining the optimal therapeutic approaches or studies identifying the effect of treatment approaches to address of diabetes or its related complications.
2. Studies to improve effective strategies to improve health care delivery for persons with diabetes or its related complications, including the development of improved clinical decision support tools.
3. Studies investigating social, behavioral, or built environment on diabetes prevention or control. Dissemination and implementation studies in health care systems or marginalized populations and structural inequalities