The Duke Funding Alert newsletter, published every Monday, provides information on all new and updated grants and fellowships added to the database during the prior week. This listserv is restricted to members of the Duke community.
BEN BARRES EARLY CAREER ACCELERATION AWARDS AND COLLABORATIVE SCIENCE AWARDS
The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative invites applications to join the CZI Neurodegeneration Challenge Network, an interdisciplinary collaborative initiative to increase understanding of the fundamental biology of neurodegenerative disorders. Applications are being accepted for two funding mechanisms:
- CZI Ben Barres Early Career Acceleration Awards: investigator awards for early career academic investigators, especially those who are new to the field of neurodegeneration
- CZI Collaborative Science Awards: awards for small group interdisciplinary collaborations that include a physician with active clinical engagement
The CZI Neurodegeneration Challenge Network has three goals: (1) to make fundamental advances toward understanding neurodegeneration; (2) to bring new ideas and talent to the field of neurodegeneration; and (3) to encourage a new type of interdisciplinary collaborative research involving scientists, clinicians and engineers.
This is explicitly not a translational or clinical development RFA and rather is aimed at foundational and mechanistic studies. Nonetheless, successful projects should be grounded in human biology and disease pathology, and the goal is that these efforts will ultimately provide new avenues and rigorous foundations for other translational and clinical development work.
We encourage applications both from investigators who are tackling underexplored topics, as well as those addressing more well-developed mechanisms where there remain significant gaps in understanding.
- Collaborative Science Award: Required Letter of Intent due April 3, 2018
- Early Career Awards: April 17, 2018
- Applicants may only apply for one program in the Neurodegeneration Challenge Network. If you are applying for a CZI Collaborative Science Award, you may not apply for a CZI Ben Barres Early Career Acceleration Award. If you apply for a CZI Ben Barres Early Career Acceleration Award, you may not apply for a CZI Collaborative Science Award.
Early Career Award: $500K total costs per year for five years, for a total of $2.5M (including up to 15% indirect costs).
Collaborative Science Award: $350,000 total costs per year for three years for a total of $1,050,000 total costs for the project