The Duke Funding Alert newsletter, published every Monday, provides information on all new and updated grants and fellowships added to the database during the prior week. This listserv is restricted to members of the Duke community.
Congressionally Directed Medical Research Programs (CDMRP) -- Lung Cancer Research Program -- Idea Development Award
The FY20 LCRP Idea Development Award mechanism promotes new ideas that are still in the early stages of development and have the potential to yield impactful data and new avenues of investigation. This award supports conceptually innovative, high-risk/high-reward research that could lead to critical discoveries or major advancements that will accelerate progress toward eradicating deaths and suffering from lung cancer. Applications should include a wellformulated, testable hypothesis based on strong scientific rationale. Submissions from and partnerships with investigators at Department of Defense (DoD) military treatment facilities and laboratories, and Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) medical centers and research laboratories are strongly encouraged.
New Investigators: The FY20 LCRP Idea Development Award mechanism encourages applications from independent investigators in the early stages of their careers (i.e., within 10 years of their first faculty appointment, or equivalent). The New Investigator category is designed to allow applicants early in their faculty appointments to compete for funding separately from established investigators. Applications from New Investigators and Established Investigators will be peer and programmatically reviewed separately. Principal Investigators (PIs) using the New Investigator category are strongly encouraged to strengthen their applications by collaborating with investigators experienced in lung cancer research and/or possessing other relevant expertise. It is the responsibility of the applicant to describe how the included collaboration will augment the PI’s expertise to best address the research question. All applicants for the New Investigator category must meet specific eligibility criteria as described in Section II.C, Eligibility Information.
• Pre-Application Deadline: May 18, 2020 (was May 6)
• Invitation to Submit an Application: June 2020
• Application Submission Deadline: July 29, 2020
Areas of Interest
To be considered for funding, applications for the FY20 LCRP Idea Development Award must address at least one of the nine Areas of Emphasis listed below:
- Identify innovative strategies for prevention of the occurrence of lung cancer.
- Identify innovative strategies for the screening and early detection of lung cancer.
- Understand the molecular mechanisms of initiation and progression to lung cancer.
- Understand contributors to lung cancer development other than tobacco.
- Identify innovative strategies for the treatment of lung cancer.
- Identify innovative strategies for the prevention of recurrence of or metastases from lung cancer.
- Develop or optimize prognostic or predictive markers to assist with therapeutic decisionmaking.
- Understand mechanisms of resistance to treatment (primary and secondary).
- Identify innovative strategies for lung cancer care delivery (disparities/clinical management/ surveillance/symptom management).
Although a PI may be eligible for both the New Investigator and Established Investigator categories, only one category may be chosen; the choice of application category is at the PI’s discretion.
• Established Investigator
The PI must be an independent investigator at or above the level of Assistant Professor (or equivalent).
• New Investigator
By the application submission deadline date, the PI must have:
○ Not previously received a LCRP Idea Development Award or LCRP Early Investigator Synergistic Idea Award; and
○ Be an independent investigator at or above the level of Assistant Professor (or equivalent) and be within 10 years of his/her first faculty appointment (or equivalent) by the time of the application submission deadline. Lapses in research time or appointments as denoted in the biographical sketch may be articulated in the application.
The anticipated direct costs budgeted for the entire period of performance for an FY20 LCRP Idea Development Award will not exceed $350,000. Refer to Section II.D.5, Funding Restrictions, for detailed funding information.