The Duke Funding Alert newsletter, published every Monday, provides information on all new and updated grants and fellowships added to the database during the prior week. This listserv is restricted to members of the Duke community.
Congressionally Directed Medical Research Programs -- Neurotoxin Exposure Treatment Parkinson’s Program -- Synergistic Idea Award
The NETP Program Synergistic Idea Award supports new ideas that represent synergistic approaches to neurotoxin exposure and treatment-related PD research involving two to four Principal Investigators (PIs) at the Assistant Professor (or equivalent) level or above. These investigators should utilize their complementary and synergistic perspectives to address a central problem or question in neurotoxin exposure and treatment-related Parkinson’s research. This award is designed to support both new and pre-existing partnerships and encourages participation of PIs from other research fields. The NETP Program Synergistic Idea Award seeks applications from investigators working in a wide spectrum of disciplines including, but not limited to, basic science, engineering, bioinformatics, population science, translational research, and clinical research.
• Required Pre-Application Submission Deadline: Sep. 8, 2021
• Application Submission Deadline: September 29, 2021
Areas of Interest
Within the context of the NETP mission and long-term strategic goals, all applications to the FY21 NETP Program Synergistic Idea Award (SIA) program announcement MUST address at least one of the following FY21 NETP Focus Areas:
• Basic biology and clinical implications of non-motor symptoms that could lead to the development of new treatments for PD. Though not limited to this list, the following are some examples of areas that are encouraged: ○ Cognition (relevant to PD) ○ Psychiatric dysfunction
• Environmental exposures and gene - environment interactions at prodromal or clinically diagnosed PD. Applications with genome-wide genotyping/sequencing of existing cohorts are encouraged (must include data sharing plan).
• Circuitry and synaptic mechanisms of PD, dopamine refractory motor symptoms, and treatment-associated dystonia that could lead to development of new treatments in patients. Though not limited to this list, the following are some examples of approaches that could be used: ○ Translational outcome measures and animal models ○ Human observational studies that may include biomarkers
• Understand disease heterogeneity to enable precision medicine approaches to PD treatments. For studies comparing neurodegenerative effects caused by deployment, environmental, and occupational exposures and other forms of PD, the following are some examples of areas that are encouraged: ○ Data analytics ○ Digital and other biomarkers ○ Clinical subtyping
Investigators must be at or above the level of Assistant Professor (or equivalent) to be named as the Initiating or Partnering PI on the application. Each Initiating or Partnering PI may be named as a PI on one NETP Program SIA application only.
The anticipated total costs budgeted for the entire period of performance for an FY21 NETP Program SIA will not exceed $3M. Refer to Section II.D.5, Funding Restrictions, for detailed funding information.