The Duke Funding Alert newsletter, published every Monday, provides information on all new and updated grants and fellowships added to the database during the prior week. This listserv is restricted to members of the Duke community.
Elizabeth Hurlock Beckman Award -- $25,000 to Professors Who Inspire
Gail McKnight Beckman created the Beckman Award to benefit teachers who have inspired their former students to make a significant contribution to society. The award is given to current or former academic faculty members who have inspired their former students to “create an organization which has demonstrably conferred a benefit on the community at large.” Alternatively, the academic faculty member must have inspired their former students to “establish on a lasting basis a concept, procedure, or movement of comparable benefit to the community at large.”
Deadline for Nominations: April 30, 2020
- Awards will be made in the United States only. Only United States citizens or permanent resident aliens are eligible.
- Award recipients must be current or former teachers, professors, or instructors at a college, university, junior college, community college, or technical school located in the United States. Preference will be given to educators who teach or who taught in the fields of psychology, medicine, or law.
- Award recipients must have inspired a former student who attended his or her class to either:
- Create an organization that has demonstrably conferred a benefit on the community at large; or
- Establish on a lasting basis a concept, procedure, or movement of comparable benefit to the community at large.
- Anyone may submit a Nomination Application Package.
- The trust's Advisory Committee reviews Nomination Application Packages and makes award decisions.
- Past recipients of this one-time award may not be nominated again.
Award recipients will receive $25,000 as a one-time award to be used at their sole discretion (taxable income).