The Duke Funding Alert newsletter, published every Monday, provides information on all new and updated grants and fellowships added to the database during the prior week. This listserv is restricted to members of the Duke community.
EXCEPTIONAL FLASH CALL FOR PROPOSALS: Mitigating risk in the wake of the Covid-19 Pandemic
In response to the current Covid-19 crisis, the AXA Research Fund Team is launching a flash call for projects: Mitigating risk in the wake of the Covid-19 Pandemic.
Projects should focus on:
- Protecting vulnerable populations from epidemics and catastrophes, including COVID-19: be it migrants, informal settlements, workers in the informal economy, isolated people, people with disabilities, the elderly
- Improving data collection and quality in health: how can data and technology help us get out of the crisis, understand it and mitigate it? How can it inform future containment and epidemic control?
- Understanding the effects of confinement and social distancing: what are the effects of confinement and social distancing on society and households? What are the mental health consequences? The social and domestic repercussions?
- Early warning and preparedness: how do we re-enforce our health infrastructure and ecosystem (including medical devices and drug supply) to be better prepared and how do we protect our health workers and caregivers?
- Preserving the environment and our health: connections between climate change, biodiversity loss and the origin of viral disease including socioeconomic dynamics leading to infectious disease outbreaks and sanitary crisis; Learnings from COVID-19 for mitigating future related crises in climate and biodiversity
The call will close on May 7, 2020 4PM Paris time.
Areas of Interest
These AXA Awards aim at supporting promising mid-career researchers between PhD + 6 years1 and PhD + 10 years maximum2 on a priority topic for society. The support of the AXA Research Fund should be transformative for the researcher and the advancement of their field.
The project calls are global, however, the AXA Research Fund partners with academic institutions only; NGOs, governmental bodies, foundations, cultural institutions (such as museums), hospitals are not eligible but are welcome as a collaborator when it is necessary for the proposed research. Preference will be given to preestablished parterships. Ideally applications will go through Institutions. Institutions can present only one candidate per Institution’s department (meaning from the same Institution, one candidate can be put forward by the department of economics, biology...) If 2 candidates or more are put forward by the same Institution’s department, all candidates from the department will be dismissed. Institutions hosting an AXA Chair cannot request for an extra grant for a researcher working on the AXA Chairholder's team.
The AXA grant is awarded for a maximum amount of 250 000€ for the whole duration of the project.