The Duke Funding Alert newsletter, published every Monday, provides information on all new and updated grants and fellowships added to the database during the prior week. This listserv is restricted to members of the Duke community.
Community and service are integrated into everything our company does. Through the Duke Energy Foundation, we provide philanthropic support to address the needs of the communities where our customers live and work. Annually, the Foundation funds more than $30 million in charitable grants, with a focus on three areas: K to career, the environment and community impact.
Our philanthropic investments in education span the kindergarten-to-career spectrum and are central to our charitable investments. Reading proficiency is the most important predictor of school success and high school graduation. By supporting childhood literacy programs, we help bridge the achievement gap and seek to end the cycle of poverty. By fostering a growing interest in the science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) fields for students, our communities will continue growing and producing skilled worked that bring new thinking and innovation to our lives. Workforce development initiatives help ensure local businesses have a pipeline of talent and a diverse workforce that can address the changing needs of our regions.
We will continue to build upon the legacy of our founders, whose dedication to community service and education has continued to enhance the regions where Duke Energy serves.
We offer local community development grants up to $10,000 to nonprofit organizations whose programs and missions support at least one of the Duke Energy Foundation's three investment priorities: K to career, the environment and community impact. Applications may be submitted at any time.
Before approaching the funder or submitting an application:
- Prospective applicants from Duke University – contact Nancy Hillsman in the Office of Foundation Relations, University Development at 919-681-0469 or email@example.com.
- Prospective applicants from Duke Medicine – contact Anita Shirley in Foundation Relations and Corporate Giving, Duke Medicine Development and Alumni Affairs at 919-385-3117 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Areas of Interest
At the core of The Duke Energy Foundation is its commitment to the community, with a focus in three areas:
- Environment and Energy Efficiency
- Programs that support conservation, training and research around environmental and energy efficiency initiatives.
- Economic Development
- Skills development, including job entry skills for the new economy and retraining of unemployed and underemployed workers.
- Pre K-12 education focused on math, science and technology.
- Higher education, government or other non-profit initiatives designed to support innovative solutions for business/industry/workforce challenges.
- Community Vitality
- Health and human services through United Way, arts & culture, energy assistance, public safety. Community leadership development/capacity building.