The Duke Funding Alert newsletter, published every Monday, provides information on all new and updated grants and fellowships added to the database during the prior week. This listserv is restricted to members of the Duke community.
Genentech Age-related Macular Degeneration Research Fellowships
As many as 11 million people in the United States have some form of age-related macular degeneration. This number is expected to double to nearly 22 million by 2050. The impact of age-related macular degeneration on the global aging population is enormous as people are deprived of their economic livelihoods and independence.
The Genentech Age-related Macular Degeneration (AMD) Research Fellowships offers two grants:
- basic research in the understanding of AMD and
- translational AMD research focusing on therapeutics (not yet in clinical trials)
Each research fellowship (basic and translational) is $40,000. This award, which was established in 2011, is supported by Genentech through the ARVO Foundation.
Deadline: Sept. 1, 2019
Eligible applicants include newly established investigators who are age 45 or younger at the application deadline and have received their MD, PhD or equivalent degree after 2009.
Specific eligibility criteria include:
- Candidates must hold an MD, PhD, DVM, DO, OD or equivalent degree
- Applicant must serve as the Principal Investigator on the project
- No geographical restrictions
- Applicants are not required to be members of ARVO
- Applicants must currently be working in non-profit or academic research centers
- Previous recipients are not eligible