The Barbara Deming Memorial Fund gives encouragement and grants to individual feminists in the arts, specifically writers and visual artists, in the United States and Canada.
We welcome applications from women artists and writers (cis and transgender) who:
- Exhibit high quality and originality in their work.
- Use feminism as their central interpretive lens.
- Value both personal and political changes that stand against the limitations and controls exerted against women while aiming at optimum freedom and agency for women.
- Validate differences that overlap with gender such as race, ethnicity, and class.
- Express an inclusive vision of social justice while focusing on justice for women.
The fund does not support theater, playscripts, videos, or work that is or will be self-published. It also does not provide funds for editing services, business projects, or emergency situations for people in need.
January 1 - January 31, 2023, for Nonfiction and Poetry.
January 1 - January 31, 2024, for Visual Art and Fiction.