The Duke Funding Alert newsletter, published every Monday, provides information on all new and updated grants and fellowships added to the database during the prior week. This listserv is restricted to members of the Duke community.
Henry Luce Foundation/ACLS Dissertation Fellowships in American Art
ACLS invites applications for Luce/ACLS Dissertation Fellowships in American Art, which are designated for graduate students at any stage of PhD dissertation research or writing. Ten fellowships are available for a non-renewable, one-year term beginning between June and September 2020 for the 2020-21 academic year. The fellowships may be carried out in residence at the fellow's home institution, abroad, or at another appropriate site for the research. The fellowships may not be used to defray tuition costs or be held concurrently with any other major fellowship or grant.
The total award of $38,000 includes a stipend and additional funds for travel and research. This program is made possible by funding from the Henry Luce Foundation.
Deadline: Oct. 23, 2019
- be a PhD candidate in a department of art history in the United States. A student with an appropriate project whose degree will be granted by another department is eligible only if the principal dissertation advisor is in a department of art history. (Students preparing theses for the Master of Fine Arts degree are not eligible.)
- have a dissertation focused on a topic in the history of the visual arts of the United States. Projects should be focused foremost on the art object and/or image and employ an art-historical or visual studies approach. Although the topic may be historically and/or theoretically grounded, proposals whose emphases are predominantly socio-historical will not be considered.
- have completed all requirements for the PhD except the dissertation before beginning fellowship tenure.
- have not previously applied for this fellowship more than once.
- be a US citizen or permanent resident.
Stipend: $34,000, plus up to $4,000 as a travel and research allowance