The Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy (EERE) intends to issue, on behalf of the Water Power Technologies Office (WPTO), a Funding Opportunity Announcement (FOA) entitled “Bipartisan Infrastructure Law (BIL), Section 41006(a)(2): U.S. Tidal Energy Advancement.”
To support the development of tidal and current energy systems in the United States, and move the state of these technologies, DOE will provide the first large scale investment for the development of a tidal Research, Development and Demonstration (RD&D) site. This FOA will provide $35 million in total funding supporting Section 41006(a)(2) to fund a tidal or river current site development, preferably led by a project/site developer in the U.S., and fund in-water demonstration of at least one tidal energy system.
The overall goals of this FOA are to:
- Build upon state clean energy strategies with local partners;
- Attract competitive tidal/current developers for technology site integration;
- Improve tidal/current Research and Development (R&D);
- Build site infrastructure and supply chains, with increased participation at the state level, including local agency, tribal and university research participation; and
- Establish a working business model covering site development to commercial scale.
DOE is compiling a "teaming" partner list to facilitate widespread participation in this FOA. This list allows organizations with expertise in the topics to express their interest to potential applicants and to explore potential partnerships. Please see the Teaming List section of the NOI document for more information.
This Notice is issued so that interested parties are aware of the EERE’s intention to issue this FOA in the near term. All the information contained in this Notice is subject to change. EERE will not respond to questions concerning this Notice. Once the FOA has been released, EERE will provide an avenue for potential Applicants to submit questions.
EERE plans to issue the FOA on or about March 2023 via the EERE eXCHANGE website https://eere-eXCHANGE.energy.gov/.