The Duke Funding Alert newsletter, published every Monday, provides information on all new and updated grants and fellowships added to the database during the prior week. This listserv is restricted to members of the Duke community.
Office of the Vice Provost for Interdisciplinary Studies -- Graduate Student Training Enhancement Grants (GSTEG) [Duke Internal Funding -- For Duke Grad Students Only]
The Office of the Provost seeks applications from Ph.D. students who, with endorsement from their programs, wish to pursue a summer internship with an off-campus host that is related to their intellectual trajectory. This Graduate Student Training Enhancement Grants (GSTEG) opportunity is limited to current Ph.D. students without full funding for Summer 2023.
The goal of this grant competition is to expand opportunities for Ph.D. students to augment their core research and training by acquiring additional skills, knowledge or experiences through an off-campus summer internship. We believe such experiences will lead to better preparation/training, whether for academic positions or other career trajectories. We will consider proposals from current Ph.D. students without full summer funding for internships with a non-Duke community organization, government agency, NGO or cultural institution, related to the student’s area of study. Successful applications will demonstrate how the activities associated with the proposed research experience align with the student’s field of study and research interests.
The GSTEG resource page includes information and advice about how to explore research experiences eligible for GSTEG support.
Deadline: Feb. 20, 2023
- All current Ph.D. students who do not have full summer funding may propose internships. Students who will matriculate in the summer/fall of 2023 are not eligible.
- Ph.D. student applicants must be resident this summer in North Carolina or an approved U.S. jurisdiction available for Duke employment: Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Montana, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia and Washington, DC.
- Previous GSTEG awardees may not apply.
In person, remote and/or hybrid internships will be considered. The proposed internship experience may last for up to three months in the summer and proposals may be configured in one of the following formats:
- Three-month (19.9 hours/week) internship; awardee will receive a stipend of $8,415 as well as coverage of summer tuition and health fee
- Two-month (19.9 hours/week) internship; awardee will receive a stipend of $5,610, as well as coverage of summer tuition and health fee
- One and a half month/6-week internship (19.9 hours/week); awardee will receive a stipend of $4,207.50 as well as coverage of summer tuition and health fee