The Duke Funding Alert newsletter, published every Monday, provides information on all new and updated grants and fellowships added to the database during the prior week. This listserv is restricted to members of the Duke community.
RTFCCR/LLS PATIENT-FOCUSED PREVENTION
The Rising Tide Foundation for Clinical Cancer Research and the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society are partnering once again to launch an international competitive grant to advance breakthroughs in prevention for blood cancers. The grant is focused on addressing four critical topics and is endowed with a total of USD $3 million; 3-5 grants will be awarded ranging from $0.6 – 1.2 M each.
The grants must be translational in nature. Ideally, the applications will have a clinical trial proposed, or could lead to a clinical trial. Applications that are solely laboratory-based without consideration of using patient samples or future clinical testing will not be accepted for review.
- Letter of Intent: Oct. 1, 2017
- Invited Application: Feb. 1, 2018
Areas of Interest
RFP Suggested Topics
- Clinical Trials: Examine the use of pharmaceuticals, nutraceuticals, or life-style changes as prevention of blood cancer onset, progression to full blown disease, or relapse. Applications could be for any premalignant conditions before the onset of blood cancer or after successful blood cancer therapy (i.e. prevention of relapse). Therapeutics could include small molecules, biologics, or immunotherapeutics.
- Biomarker evaluation: Develop and apply sensitive minimally invasive methods to detect precursor conditions before disease onset or sustained after successful therapy
- Use experimental systems to identify safe and effective therapeutic strategies to eliminate mutant clones early in disease stages or prevent recurrence of disease that could justify a clinical trial in prevention
- Drug the undruggable: Develop novel strategies to remove / deactivate tumor drivers that initiate, or predispose to, disease onset and/or develop novel approaches, such as synthetic lethality, to achieve the same goal.
The amount of each award is based on the availability of funds. The duration of the award is up to five years or less as specified in the grant award letter. Rising Tide will disburse awarded funds only if the recipient maintains strict compliance with reporting and participant accrual requirements as outlined in Rising Tide’s Research Funding Terms and Conditions.