Simons Fellows in Theoretical Physics

Funding Agency:
Simons Foundation

The Simons Foundation’s Mathematics and Physical Sciences (MPS) division invites applications for the Simons Fellows in Theoretical Physics program, which is intended to make sabbatical leaves more productive by extending them to a full academic year.

Rationale: Research leaves from classroom teaching and administrative obligations can provide strong intellectual stimulation and lead to increased creativity and productivity in research.

Basis for Awards: The MPS division’s Scientific Advisory Board will advise the foundation on the selection of awardees. Awards will be based on the applicant’s scientific accomplishments in the five-year period preceding the application and on the potential scientific impact of the work to be done during the leave period.

Deadline: Sep. 26, 2019

Agency Website

Eligibility Requirements

A Simons Fellow in Theoretical Physics must have a teaching or administrative tenured position at the same U.S. or Canadian college or university within the physics or related department at the time of application, throughout the course of the sabbatical and in the term following the leave. This must be the applicant’s primary position. In addition, a Fellow must have an active current research program. Fellows cannot simultaneously hold a Simons Investigator award.

Eligibility for this year’s program is restricted to sabbatical-eligible faculty who wish to use the fellowship award for the purpose of extending at least a single-term research leave to a full academic year. The fellowship program will not support the extension of a full year of research leave to an additional term. In order to receive the Simons Fellowship, you must be approved by your institution for a full year of leave, consisting of two consecutive semesters or three consecutive quarters with at least 50 percent of the year fully paid by the home university and no more than 50 percent fully or partly supported by the fellowship. If funds from the foundation are insufficient to cover the salary needs for the period supported by the fellowship, other resources can be used for this purpose. The foundation will consider circumstances where, for example, the university covers 80 percent of a full year of leave and the fellowship covers the remaining 20 percent.

Amount

$100,000

Amount Description

A Simons Fellowship in Theoretical Physics provides salary replacement for up to 50 percent (up to a maximum of $100,000) of the Fellow’s current academic-year salary, whether normally paid over 9 or 12 months, and up to $25,000 for expenses related to the leave. The Fellow’s home institution will receive an additional 20 percent overhead on allowable expenses. Please note that the foundation’s indirect cost policy allows up to 20 percent of direct cost expenditures. Any unspent funds at the end of the award must be returned to the Simons Foundation.

Funding Type

Fellowship

Eligibility

Faculty

Category

Engineering and Physical Sciences

External Deadline

September 26, 2019