The Duke Funding Alert newsletter, published every Monday, provides information on all new and updated grants and fellowships added to the database during the prior week. This listserv is restricted to members of the Duke community.
Sleep and Epilepsy Award
Program Goal: To advance our understanding of sleep and epilepsy in a way that will ultimately translate to significant help for patients.
CURE’s mission is to cure epilepsy, transforming and saving millions of lives. We identify and fund cutting-edge research, challenging scientists worldwide to collaborate and innovate in pursuit of this goal. Our commitment is unrelenting.
CURE’s Sleep and Epilepsy Award seeks to accelerate promising research into the molecular-, cellular-, and systems-level mechanisms that underlie the relationships between sleep and epilepsy. The award mechanism requires a multidisciplinary, collaborative approach. A researcher (or group of researchers) who understands the epilepsies and the intricacies of treating this group of neurological disorders must collaborate with an investigator, or group of investigators, outside of epilepsy research (e.g., from any sleep-related discipline including, but not limited to, physiology, genetics, chemistry, anesthesiology, and physics). This award has been made possible by the generous support of the BAND Foundation.
This award has three main goals:
- Accelerate translational, clinical, and clinically informed basic research that will 1) facilitate elevated understanding of the cellular-, molecular-, and systems-level mechanisms which underlie the relationship between sleep and epilepsy and 2) this research must have the potential to one day result in interventions for patients. Priority for this award cycle will be given to research focused on SUDEP but all types of research are welcome.
- Advance research into the development of relevant animal models to enable real opportunities for translational research
- Form a multidisciplinary team of epilepsy-sleep researchers that will meet yearly to discuss their CURE-funded work (those funded will be required to attend a CURE-hosted annual meeting and share results with the team).
- Letter of Intent: Dec. 29, 2016
- Invited full Applications: Feb. 23, 2017
The CURE Sleep and Epilepsy Award is available to both established and early-career investigators. * Researchers who serve on CURE’s Scientific Advisory Council (SAC) are ineligible to apply for or sponsor a grant for the duration of their term on the Council. International applicants are welcome. All materials must be submitted in English.
Requests may be made for up to a total of $220,000 paid over two (2) years. Indirect costs are not supported. CURE plans to fund two awards* this grant cycle. The Sleep and Epilepsy Award will then become a part of the CURE 2017 annual grants program.