The Duke Funding Alert newsletter, published every Monday, provides information on all new and updated grants and fellowships added to the database during the prior week. This listserv is restricted to members of the Duke community.
Strategic Research Award
The AASM Foundation is committed to improving patient-centered for all patients with sleep disorders. To ensure that there is a continued advancement in effective diagnosis and care of patients with sleep disorders, the AASM Foundation provides research funding through the Strategic Research Award. This award is investigator-initiated and supports high-impact research projects aimed at addressing gaps in knowledge that impact the ability to provide optimal, patient-centered, cost-effective diagnosis and care for patients with sleep disorders.
Every year, the AASM Foundation issues a Strategic Research Award request for applications that is focused on specific research domains that will advance the field of sleep medicine and population sleep health. These research domains are determined by the AASM Foundation Board of Directors, based on identified needs from AASM members and the sleep community. Details for each research domain and related topic areas of interest are provided prior to issuance of the request for applications. Only applications that fit into one of the research domains and topic areas will be considered.
Deadline for LOI: Oct. 23, 2023
- The applicant must possess a master’s level degree or higher.
- The applicant must have access to the necessary resources (including the proposed patient population), facilities, and other resources needed to perform the proposed work.
- We encourage applicants to be members of the American Academy of Sleep Medicine.
- Applicants outside the US are eligible to apply; however, payment of award funds must be accepted by the institution in US dollars.
- Applicants who are the Principal Investigator on a currently-funded AASM Foundation Strategic Research Award are not eligible to apply. Individuals who are listed as key personnel on an active AASM Foundation award, but are not the Principal Investigator, are also eligible to apply.
Note: In all cases, the applicant must clearly demonstrate the lack of overlap between the funded AASM Foundation project and the proposed work and demonstrate that the individual’s budgeted and actual percent time/effort involved in the two awards are appropriate and non-overlapping.
The Strategic Research Award program is organized into two categories to allow flexibility and a range of funding opportunities to potential applicants:
- Category I is for those applicants seeking funding for projects up to $250,000 and covers a project period of up to three years.
- Category II is for those applicants seeking funding for projects up to $100,000 and covers a project period of up to two years.
The funds can be used for research expenses such as salary support (commensurate with current stipends or salaries), supplies, participant costs and institutional overhead. There are no restrictions on the distribution of expenses, however, indirect costs are capped at 8%. The award is a contract between the AASM Foundation and the awardee’s institution.