The MAA awards grants for projects designed to encourage college and university women or high school and middle school girls to study mathematics. The MAA, on behalf of the Tensor Foundation, is soliciting college, university and secondary mathematics faculty (in conjunction with college or university faculty) and their departments and institutions to submit proposals. Projects may replicate existing successful projects, adapt components of such projects, or be innovative. Possible projects, all of which have a strong mathematics component, are to:
- organize a club for women interested in mathematics or mathematics and science;
- create a network of women professional mentors who will direct mathematics projects for girls;
- hold a conference for counselors to prepare them to encourage women and girls to continue to study mathematics;
- conduct a summer mathematics program for high school women;
- bring high school women onto a college campus for a Math Day with follow-up;
- structure a program for high school and/or college women to mentor younger female mathematics students with math projects or math clubs;
- form partnerships with industry to acquaint women students with real-life applications of mathematics;
- provide funds toward release time to allow a faculty member to prepare a course on women and mathematics, provided the host institution agrees to offer such a course.
Deadline: Feb. 12, annually.